Tuesday, July 16, 2024
Hawai'i Free Press

Current Articles | Archives

Thursday, March 21, 2013
Hawaii Firearm Permits Set New Record in 2012
By News Release @ 6:22 PM :: 5520 Views :: Second Amendment


News Release from Hawaii Attorney General March 20, 2013

HONOLULU – The Department of the Attorney General released its annual report detailing statewide and county firearm registration statistics for calendar year 2012.

A record high total of 21,864 personal/private firearm permit applications were processed statewide during 2012, marking a major, 70.3% increase from the previous record high of 15,375 applications processed in 2011. Of the applications processed in 2012, 94.1% were approved and resulted in issued permits; 4.9% were approved but subsequently voided after the applicants failed to return for their permits within a specified time period; and 1.0% were denied due to one or more disqualifying factors.

The 20,572 permits issued statewide in 2012 cover a record high total of 50,394 firearms registered, marking a 73.0% increase from the previous record high of 36,804 firearms registered in 2011. Nearly half (23,548, or 46.7%) of the firearms registered during 2012 were imported from out-of-state, with the remainder (26,846, or 53.3%) accounted for by transfers of firearms that were previously registered in Hawaii.

Firearm registration activity increased dramatically over the course of the 13 years for which these data have been systematically compiled and reported. From 2000 through 2012, the number of statewide permit applications processed annually climbed 336.9%, the number of firearms registered soared 370.1%, and the number of firearms imported surged 325.8%. Roughly equivalent increases were reported for all four of Hawaii’s counties.

While there has been a tremendous increase in firearm registration activity in Hawaii since 2000, the annual trends for both the number of firearm-related violent crimes and the proportion of violent crimes involving firearms relative to other weapon types remained stable within a low and narrow range through 2007, and decreased substantially from 2008 through 2012, during which time registration activity increased the most sharply.

It is a misdemeanor in the State of Hawaii to provide falsified information on firearm permit applications, unless the falsified information pertains to criminal or mental health histories, in which case it is a felony offense (Hawaii Revised Statutes section 134-17). In 2012, falsified criminal or mental health information or both were provided in 69.2% (157) of the 227 denial cases; falsified information pertaining to anything other than criminal or mental health histories was provided in 4.0% (9) of the cases; and no falsified information was provided in 26.9% (61) of the cases. The report also provides both categorized and itemized reasons for the denials.

The full report can be downloaded from the Crime Prevention and Justice Assistance Division web site at http://ag.hawaii.gov/cpja/rs/.

# # #


TEXT "follow HawaiiFreePress" to 40404

Register to Vote


Aloha Pregnancy Care Center


Antonio Gramsci Reading List

A Place for Women in Waipio

Ballotpedia Hawaii

Broken Trust

Build More Hawaiian Homes Working Group

Christian Homeschoolers of Hawaii

Cliff Slater's Second Opinion

DVids Hawaii


Fix Oahu!

Frontline: The Fixers

Genetic Literacy Project

Grassroot Institute


Hawaii Aquarium Fish Report

Hawaii Aviation Preservation Society

Hawaii Catholic TV

Hawaii Christian Coalition

Hawaii Cigar Association

Hawaii ConCon Info

Hawaii Debt Clock

Hawaii Defense Foundation

Hawaii Family Forum

Hawaii Farmers and Ranchers United

Hawaii Farmer's Daughter

Hawaii Federation of Republican Women

Hawaii History Blog

Hawaii Jihadi Trial

Hawaii Legal News

Hawaii Legal Short-Term Rental Alliance

Hawaii Matters

Hawaii Military History

Hawaii's Partnership for Appropriate & Compassionate Care

Hawaii Public Charter School Network

Hawaii Rifle Association

Hawaii Shippers Council

Hawaii Together


Hiram Fong Papers

Homeschool Legal Defense Hawaii

Honolulu Navy League

Honolulu Traffic

House Minority Blog

Imua TMT

Inouye-Kwock, NYT 1992

Inside the Nature Conservancy

Inverse Condemnation

July 4 in Hawaii

Land and Power in Hawaii

Lessons in Firearm Education

Lingle Years

Managed Care Matters -- Hawaii


Missile Defense Advocacy

MIS Veterans Hawaii

NAMI Hawaii


National Parents Org Hawaii

NFIB Hawaii News

NRA-ILA Hawaii


OHA Lies

Opt Out Today

Patients Rights Council Hawaii

Practical Policy Institute of Hawaii

Pritchett Cartoons

Pro-GMO Hawaii


Rental by Owner Awareness Assn

Research Institute for Hawaii USA

Rick Hamada Show

RJ Rummel

School Choice in Hawaii


Talking Tax

Tax Foundation of Hawaii

The Real Hanabusa

Time Out Honolulu

Trustee Akina KWO Columns


West Maui Taxpayers Association

What Natalie Thinks

Whole Life Hawaii