by Americans for Prosperity
Last night, the Obama/Pelosi/Reid $410 billion Omnibus to fund non-defense government spending through September was pulled off the Senate floor. This wasteful monstrosity did not have the 60 votes required for passage.
It appears at least 41 Senators object to the massive increase in spending -- 8% over last year's budget – and the larding in of 8,500 earmarks totaling $7.7 billion.
A senior Senate aide told me this morning that many Senators do not want a repeat of the Stimulus battle where their offices were literally shut down with telephone calls and their email was swamped with messages going after the wasteful spending.
You see, they’re talking about Americans like you.
When you fight, the politicians get awfully nervous – even on a bill the President, Speaker Pelosi and Senator Reid assumed was an easy victory.
While Americans are losing jobs and seeing life savings evaporate this Obama/Pelosi/Reid $410 billion Omnibus funds earmarks like:
- $2.1 million for a Center for Grape Research in NY
- $1.7 million for pig odor research in Iowa
- $951,500 for Sustainable Las Vegas (I'm not making this up)
- $2 million for "the promotion of astronomy" in Hawaii
- $200,000 for a tattoo removal program
President Obama, after campaigning on a pledge to veto earmarks, now says $7.7 billion for 8,500 earmarks is ok with him. Sadly, the President cares more about letting his friends in Congress stuff pet projects into an already massive spending bill than keeping his promise to protect the American people from earmarks abuse and waste.
Call your two Senators today and tell them to vote NO on the Obama/Pelosi/Reid $410 billion Omnibus that increases spending by another 8% and funds 8,500 pork barrel earmarks at a time when hundreds-of-thousands of Americans are losing their jobs. The number at the Senate switchboard is 202-224-3121.
The vote will probably happen Monday so please act fast.
But as bad as this Omnibus is with all its earmarks, there is a far more important battle coming that you and I must gear up for now.
It’s going to be over the Obama budget for 2009/2010. In a nutshell the Obama budget
- Spends more than any budget in American history and admits to a $1.75 trillion deficit.
- Creates a "Cap and Trade" system that is an ENERGY TAX on Americans. The Obama budget admits this tax will be at least $645 billion in the first 8 years alone. Prices will go up on gasoline for cars, energy to heat and cool your home. Prices will increase on just about every good you buy -- from food to consumer goods because of the higher energy costs to grow the food and make the goods.
- Combined with the Stimulus, the Obama budget brings back the old social welfare system that trapped so many Americans in despair while wasting billions.
There’s so much more but to see the worst aspects of the Obama budget go to our Americans for Prosperity website by clicking here.
I’m asking you to educate yourself and friends on this Obama budget.
It’s going to take an all out effort by us to protect our nation’s future and our economic freedoms by defeating or changing this Obama budget.
In coming days I’ll have more details about the battle ahead and specific ways that you can make a difference.
But for now, call your Senator on this $410 billion Omnibus boondoggle
And, recruit friends and family to join the NoStimulus.com website by signing the petition there. It’s the best way to make sure they join the fight for freedom!
Much lies ahead, you and I need to make sure we keep turning up the heat.
Americans for Prosperity was honored to help lead a number of the “ Taxpayer Tea Parties ” across the nation last week. Click here for photos and coverage. It was exciting! I’m in Milwaukee for one of our rallies Saturday at 9am and then Tulsa on Monday morning. To attend either event call us at 202-349-5880. Many more events are being planned so stay tuned.
RELATED COVERAGE: The Hill