From Left: Brandy Blas, Thomas Blas, Debra Geron
AGAIN: Family Court Gave Another Girl to Another Convicted Felon, She was also starved and tortured to death
UPDATE: Father: DHS and Catholic Charities both involved in Geanna Bradley Placement in Torture House
by Andrew Walden
Accused of the torture, starvation and murder of 10 year old Geanna Bradley, 35-year-old Brandy Blas, her husband, 40-year-old Thomas Blas, and Brandy’s mother, 67-year-old Debra Geron were today arrested in Wahiawa by Honolulu police. (Case# 1DCW-24-0000396)
Not arrested, the fourth adult living at the murder scene: Brandy’s father, William Geron.
Criminals are supposed to be barred from fostering or adopting kids.
Thomas Blas is a convicted auto burglar. After pleading no-contest, he got a deferred acceptance in 2005 case#1PC051000688.
All four adults living at the murder scene are the subject of numerous debt collection civil actions between 2019 and 2023.
What is the involvement of Child Welfare Services in this case?
KHON2 asked the Department of Human Services if there have been any checks to the Blas’. In a statement DHS said:
“Pursuant to Hawaii Revised Statutes §350-1.4, CWS is statutorily prohibited from confirming or denying any reports of a case or child in the child welfare system, subject to some limited exceptions. Hawaii Administrative Rules §17-1601-6(16)(D) is an exception which permits CWS to report regarding the death of a child that has been confirmed by the Medical Examiner to be a result of abuse or neglect. As reported by HPD, the Medical Examiner has recently determined that the death of a 10 year-old female child was a homicide resulting from child abuse or neglect. CWS can confirm that the recent report of abuse or neglect in this home is the first of its kind received as to these caregivers. Additionally, CWS has not had any reports of abuse or neglect, or involvement in any investigation regarding this child, since this child was placed with this family under legal guardianship until the January 18, 2024, response to the home by HPD.“
The Star Advertiser Feb 10, 2024 reports:
In response to Honolulu Star-Advertiser questions about how often caseworkers interacted with Bradley’s family prior to her death, the state Department of Human Services’ Child Welfare Services said in a statement that it is “statutorily prohibited from confirming or denying any reports of a case or child in the child welfare system, subject to some limited exceptions.”
“As such, CWS is only able to provide the following information. CWS can confirm that the recent report of abuse or neglect in this home is the first of its kind received as to these caregivers. Additionally, CWS has not had any reports of abuse or neglect, or involvement in any investigation regarding this child, since this child was placed with this family under legal guardianship until the January 18, 2024, response to the home by HPD,” wrote Amanda Stevens, a DHS spokesperson. “We mourn the loss of this child with the community. As always, CWS asks everyone to take part in reporting what you hear, what you see, even what you sense, if you suspect abuse or neglect.”
In summation: DHS admits it is withholding information.
Here are some details from the criminal complaint filed February 9, 2024 -- (G.B. refers to the victim, Geanna Bradley):
32: The guardianship paperwork indicated that Thomas Sr. and Brandy had been appointed as the legal guardians of G.B. on October 8, 2018, and was signed by Judge Bode Uale on October 10, 2018….
79. Thomas Sr and Brandy appeared to have been receiving approximately $1,961.00 per month from the State of Hawaii for G.B. A review of a bank statement dated August 14, 2023 in conjunction with recovered text messages between Brandy, Debra, and Thomas Sr. demonstrate agreements and plans regarding the purchase of various foods and eating at restaurants. The residence at 33 Karsten Drive.
19. Brandy stated that G.B. has been diagnosed by a doctor with ADHD as well as possibly suffering from schizophrenia and bipolar disorder G.B. was prescribed medication for her conditions and is usually seen by a psychologist once a month. Brandy further stated G.B. would have tantrums daily and throw herself onto the ground causing injuries to herself if she did not get her way…
The average age of onset for bi-polar disorder and for schizophrenia is in the mid-20s, not age 10. The National Alliance on Mental Illness points out, “It is uncommon for schizophrenia to be diagnosed in a person younger than 12….”
Psychologists are by law ‘mandatory reporters’ of child abuse. Given the extensive trauma to Geanna Bradley’s body, it is not likely that she was seeing any psychologist or other medical personnel because they would have immediately recognized and reported abuse such as:
46. Sullivan noticed a large avulsion on her nose, and there was a large chunk of the bridge of her nose missing. They also noticed sores around her mouth and that her teeth were in bad condition. When they moved her to the living room they pulled the blanket off of the child and noticed sores all over her body.
49. Meneses noticed that the child looked very small for a 10 year old and that she had swelling to her eyes and darkness to her orbits. She also had wounds on her face. Meneses then observed further injuries on the child, that she was already in slight rigor mortis, cold to touch, and that she had significant older injuries to her face, multiple bruising from her face all the way down to her feet. When Meneses asked about the injuries on her face "they" stated that the child had fallen on of her bike.
50. Meneses stated that her opinion of the child was that she was extremely emaciated, very skinny, she was cold to touch everywhere and had a significant injury to the child's nose, scabbing to her face, a laceration to her lips, and very unhealthy teeth. Meneses stated that from her expertise as a paramedic, the child looked like she had been dead for at least two to three hours…
56. On February 8, 2024, after additional testing was performed, Dr. Jon Gates determined that G.B.'s cause of death is the result of multiple effects of prolonged child abuse and neglect. Additionally, the cause of death is result of starvation, blunt force injury due to assault, prolonged immobilization and physical restraint, medical neglect, and pneumonia. …
59. …Dr. Natarjan also found bilateral scars and wounds on both hands and that G.B.'s back was covered with many scars and wounds. Most significant is a deep wound at the base of her spine which appears so deep, the vertebral bone is visible. There is a concentration of wounds along the spine. This injury pattern is suggestive of non- accidental injury. The various stages of healing noted indicate repeated injury to the back.
The alleged abusers allegedly recorded their abuse on video:
70. … While examining the media files that had been extracted from the phone. Detective Wong discovered the following images and videos:
…An image of what appears to be G.B. bound with what appears to be duct tape in a small enclosed area with white and green painted interior walls. G.B. has duct tape around her arms and torso binding them to her sides and her hands are behind her. G.B. eyes have a black covering duct taped to her head. The duct tape is wrapped around her eyes and forehead area as well as over the top of her head. G.B. is wearing a yellow crop top shirt with no sleeves and lavender bottoms. There are apparent injuries to G.B.'s shoulders and lower face….
71. While examining the media files that had been extracted from Brandy's phone. Detective Wong discovered the following images and videos: …A video of a violent interaction between what appears to be G.B. and Thomas Sr. The room is a small room with brown wooden floor pattern, a rolled up carpet rug near the wall, and a picture with a white background hung on the same wall. G.B. is sitting on the floor in the room when Thomas Sr. walks in and kicks G.B. in the head, under no apparent provocation. Thomas Sr. then throws a stack of papers towards G.B. saying "Watch your mouth" and then "fix your fucken paypahs" before walking out. ….