News Release from Office of Hawaiian Affairs
The Office of Hawaiian Affairs has unveiled a new priority list for the $8.9 million in grant money that community organizations across the state can now apply for through January 2013.
OHA is making between $100,000 and $500,000 in grant money available to fund any one of seven specific priorities meant to help raise its stake in statewide efforts to improve the lives of Native Hawaiians.
At the top of the priority list are grant proposals aimed at improving nutrition and physical activity within the Hawaiian community, where OHA has stepped up efforts to combat obesity.
Other prime targets for OHA grants include programs that are perpetuating Hawaiian culture and preserving natural resources in a manner that would benefit future generations.
“OHA has set its sights on carefully selected goals and is extremely encouraged about the potential for our efforts to be enhanced by the contribution of community partners,” said OHA Chief Executive Officer Kamanaopono Crabbe.
“We look forward to leveraging our resources with partners who can contribute to an environment where Native Hawaiians have an opportunity to thrive,” he said.
The deadline to apply for an OHA grant is Jan. 16, 2013; the grants would fund a two-year period between July 1, 2013 and June 30, 2015.
Here’s a breakdown of the various grant categories, funds that are available, as well as the date of orientation sessions for each one:
* Obesity and Physical Health Improvements in Native Hawaiians – $2,000,000 Orientation: 9 a.m.-noon Wednesday, Dec. 5
* Perpetuating Hawaiian Culture – $1,400,000 Orientation: 9 a.m.-noon Thursday, Dec. 6
* Pae Aina Sustainability – $1,400,000 Orientation: 1:30-4:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 6
* Employment and Career Support Services for Native Hawaiians – $1,250,000 Orientation: 9 a.m.-noon Monday, Dec. 3
* Prenatal Services for Native Hawaiians – $1,000,000 Orientation: 1:30-4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 5
* Housing Services for Native Hawaiians – $900,000 Orientation: 9 a.m.-noon Friday, Dec. 7
* Improving Middle and High School Testing Scores of Native Hawaiians – $600,000 Orientation: 9 a.m.-noon Tuesday, Dec. 4
Community Event Funding
* Ahahui Event Grants – $ 400,000 Orientations: 9-11 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 12; and 9-11 a.m. Thursday, July 25, 2013
For further information, call (808) 594-1986; email email@example.com, or visit www.oha.org