States with the Most Vulnerable Populations to Coronavirus
Wallet Hub, May 12, 2020
During the coronavirus pandemic, the news often focuses on the medically vulnerable – people who risk the most serious symptoms if they contract the disease, such as the elderly or people with pre-existing medical conditions. However, two other at-risk populations are just as crucial to protect – those who lack adequate living conditions and those without enough monetary resources to weather the pandemic.
In order to find out which states have the highest concentrations of vulnerable people across all three categories, WalletHub compared the 50 states and the District of Columbia across 28 key metrics. Their data set ranges from the share of the population aged 65 and older to the share of the homeless population that is unsheltered and the share of the entire population living in poverty.
read … Full Report
- 33 -- Overall Rank
- 37.25 -- Total Score
- 38 -- ‘Medical Vulnerability’ Rank
- 1 -- ‘Housing Vulnerability’ Rank
- 47 -- ‘Financial Vulnerability’ Rank
- 51 –- Share of population diagnosed with COPD (lowest in USA)
- 3 –- Highest share of unsheltered homeless population
- 2 -- Highest share of homes lacking access to basic hygiene facilities