States with the Highest Rates of Depression
From QuoteWizard, December 19, 2019
- States with high rate of access to mental health care saw decrease in depression rates.
- Oregon, West Virginia and Maine have the highest rates of depression.
- Alaska, Louisiana and Tennessee saw largest increase of depression.
- New Mexico, Massachusetts and Connecticut saw the largest decrease of depression.
- Hawaii, New Jersey and California have lowest rates of depression.
- 17.3 million Americans living with depression.
- Access to mental health care through insurance is a significant barrier for people with depression and mental illness.
Depression is one of the most common mental illnesses in America, with over 17 million U.S. adults suffering from it. As it is one of the most common mental illnesses, there are many risk factors that affect Americans: Many are predisposed to depression through genetics, while some can be affected by things like stress, poor diet and substance abuse. For people to manage depression, access to mental health care is essential for those suffering from it.
Lack of access to mental health care is a serious issue for many with depression. Over 24 million adults with a mental illness did not receive any mental health treatment, with even nine million adults with a mental illness reporting they tried and could not receive treatment. Another five million people with mental illness are living uninsured….
- 50 – Rank (lowest depression rate)
- 11.76% -- Depression Rate
- +17.76% -- 3rd-largest % Change in Depression Rate from 2014 to 2018
- 18 -- Access Rank
read … Full Report