by Andrew Walden
HGEA released its Primary Election endorsements June 20, but did not include Maui County. A source close to the Maui HGEA has now made this list of endorsements available to Hawai’i Free Press. According to the source, these endorsements are approved by Maui HGEA leaders but have not been officially ‘blessed’ by State HGEA HQ.
In the midst of efforts to privatize the Maui Hospital system, HGEA has endorsed two incumbents, one Democrat Primary challenger, and made no endorsement in four Maui legislative races. Normally HGEA lines up solidly behind Democratic incumbents.
We have reached out to HGEA for comment and will update if a response is received. UPDATE: HGEA spokesperson Caroline Sluyter confirms that the list is correct.
HGEA 2016 Primary endorsements for other counties may be seen >>> HERE.
Maui HGEA endorsements:
- State Sen 5 No action taken (seat now held Gil Keith Agaran)
- State House 8- Joe Souki
- State House 9- Justin Woodson
- State House 10- No action taken (seat now held by Angus McKelvey)
- State House 11- Open (seat now held by Kaniela Ing)
- State House 12 Open (seat now held by Kyle Yamashita)
- State House 13 Alex Haller (seat now held by Lynn DeCoite)
*No Action Taken means candidate did not contact HGEA in a timely manner or at all
**Open means union does not endorse a candidate for this seat