New UH Telework Policy Published
UHPA & UH Reach Agreement
News Release from UHPA, December 13, 2021
UH and the UHPA Negotiations Team have reached an agreement on a new Telework Policy that will go into effect on January 3, 2022 and runs through June 30, 2023. The existing COVID-19 Voluntary Telework Policy will be expiring on December 31, 2021.
Similar to What We Have Today
The new Telework Policy will essentially maintain the current requirements and exemptions for Faculty from:
1) exemption from the submission of work plans;
2) the completion of Online Leave Entry depending on job; and
3) the completion of WFH/Telework Form depending on job.
Please follow this link to UH Office of Human Resources for details. If you are currently teleworking under the COVID-19 Voluntary Telework Policy you will need to submit a new request pursuant to this policy if you are intending to telework from January 3, 2022.
A Viable Option to Minimize Risk
The new Telework Policy is intended to provide the UH with a viable alternative work option that they may utilize to improve program effectiveness and employee productivity, as well as, improve morale; reduce traffic congestion; and to effectively continue operations in times of an emergency and/or natural disasters. While we all recognize that we are still in the COVID-19 pandemic, telework also provides a viable alternative work option for employees to maintain social distance between themselves and others in hopes of minimizing the risks of exposure to infections or illness.
The Opportunity For Faculty To Participate In Telework Is Still A Management Prerogative
However, the policy encourages the campuses to approve any telework request where:
1) job functions are suitable to be performed remotely;
2) the employee can be and demonstrates they are as functional and productive as when they are in the workplace and records are kept to document this; and
3) telework is consistent with the University's strategic direction and vision.
Faculty interested in participating in telework should consult their Department Chair or respective Dean, Director or Supervisor.