Assisted Suicide Bill in Senate Judiciary
From Hawaii Family Forum, March 20, 2018
On Friday, March 23, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. in room #016, the very last public hearing (where people in the public can actually submit written opposition to assisted suicide) will be done by the Senate Judiciary Committee. However, they are not receiving any ORAL testimony.
That means that while you can submit WRITTEN TESTIMONY, no public discussion about the bill will take place. The Senate Judiciary Committee seems to be indicating that they have heard everything that needs to be said about the issue.
While they may believe the fight is over, we do not and strongly encourage you to do the following:
- Pray for wisdom for the our Senate Judiciary members as they deliberate on this issue (behind closed doors)
- Call the members of the Senate Judiciary and ask them to vote NO on HB2739 HD1
Sen Brian Taniguchi (Chair)
Sen. Karl Rhoads (Vice Chair)
Sen. Mike Gabbard
Sen. Donna Mercado Kim
Sen. Laura Thielen
- Submit testimony online by 9:00 a.m. on Thursday, March 22, 2018. Need talking points? Click here.
- Show up, if you can, at the DECISION MAKING on Friday at 9:00 a.m. in room 016 and wear your blue shirts. Keep in mind that this will be a very quick procedure. The Senate Chair (Sen. Brian Taniguchi) will most likely just make a public declaration on what the intentions of the committee are. (e.g. pass out of committee with our without amendments, or defer).
- If you live in the district of one of the committee members (listed above), please send a message through our system to oppose assisted suicide. (NOTE: This link will only work for people who live in the district of members of the Senate Judiciary.)
Many of you are asking what happens next?
Well, if the bill passes the committee, it will go to the full Senate for a vote. If the bill is un-amended by the committee, after the Senate vote, it will be sent directly to the Governor. If the bill is amended, the House will be asked to agree (or disagree) to the amended version. Disagreement by the House will result in a conference committee.
We will keep you posted on the progress and help you connect directly with your legislators and do the call to action when the time comes.
Mahalo for your continued support and prayers.