House Republicans respond to Governor David Ige's annual State of the State address on January 22, 2018.
News Release from Hawaii House Republican Caucus, January 23, 2018
On January 22nd, Governor David Ige delivered his fourth State of the State address. He spoke about his accomplishments in the last year while briefly acknowledging the work that still needs to be done. Ige addressed the issues of homelessness, affordable housing, education, and energy.
But he failed to talk about initiatives that would make our government more accountable to its constituency, make Hawaii more affordable and lower our cost of living, and give Hawaii equal access to the government.
(You can view a transcript of Gov. Ige's speech here)
As Representative Bob McDermott said, "it was a typical David Ige speech. There was no big vision, no bold ideas, just tinkering around the edges." For the Minority Caucus' full response, you can view our press release here.
As the loyal opposition, we must do more than just oppose the status quo.
We want you to join us! Voice your support by testifying at the legislature!
- HB 1729 Relating to Fiscal Impact Statements
- HB 1730 Relating to Government Transparency
- HB 1731 Needs a supermajority voting requirement to increase taxes.
- HB 1732 Relating to GET Exemptions
- HB 1733 Relating to the repeal of Death Taxes
- HB 1734 Relating to Legislative Videoconferencing abilities
- HB 1735 Relating to extending aloha to Veterans
- HR 4 End Permit Purgatory
- HR 5 Requesting an audit of the public charter school system
- HR 6 Urging HI-EMA to improve its operations and public education
Click to View Our Caucus Bill Package Videos
View Info Sheet
Our bill ideas are still out there. Please join us throughout this session by advocating for these basic, common-sense ideas. Here is how you can get involved:
- Call your representatives and tell them to give these bills a hearing (bill numbers are listed below).
- Come to the legislature and testify or submit testimony online at capitol.hawaii.govfor these measures.
- Tell your friends and family about it, and get them involved too!
Our bill package strives to make our government and our state more accountable, affordable, and accessible. We aspire to provide Better Solutions for the Best Hawaiʻi. For more information on our proposed bills, please view our website at houseminority.wordpress.com, and download our info sheet (link at the bottom).
The legislative session has just begun! We are excited and grateful for this opportunity to serve you. We look forward to seeing you at the hearings, in the halls of the Capitol, and in the community. And if there is anything we can do for you, feel free to reach out to any of our offices. Our contact information is on the info sheet (see link below).
State House Representative, District 43