SEED CROP VALUE SHOWS FIRST INCREASE SINCE 2011-12 SEASON
From USDA, August 5, 2016
The value of Hawaii’s seed industry is estimated at $151 million for the 2015-16 season, according to a survey conducted by the USDA’s National Agricultural Statistics Service. This preliminary estimate represents a 7 percent increase from the 2014-15 estimate of $141 million. This increase is the first in the industry since the 2011- 12 crop year.
Seed corn accounts for $147 million, or 97 percent, of the total value in 2015-16. Various other seed crops account for the remaining 3 percent.
Out-shipments of seed are projected to total 7.4 million pounds during the 2015-16 season, down 14 percent from the 8.6 million pounds shipped during the previous season.
Acreage harvested for all seed crops is expected to total 4,000 acres during the 2015-16 season, down 6 percent from the previous season.
PDF: SEED CROP VALUE SHOWS FIRST INCREASE SINCE 2011-12 SEASON