Aloha Kaka’ako Makai Park Users: November 16, 2014
The outgoing Abercrombie Administration is going into HAIL MARY MODE in its last days.
THE HCDA will be having AT LEAST 3 MEETINGS ON TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 25TH….JUST 6 DAYS BEFORE THE IGE ADMINISTRATION IS INSTALLED.
The HCDA Special Meeting Agendas will be posted Tuesday or Wednesday but we suspect these items will be included:
1. Kewalo Basin Wedding Chapel Lease Negotiations (see Friends of Kewalos Alert below)
2. Kewalo Basin Park Peninsula - Net Shed/NOAH Site Restaurant - Howard Huges (see Friends of Kewalos Alert below)
3. Kewalo Basin Charter Boat Building – Italian Restaurant – Bellavita (see Friends of Kewalos Alert below)
4. Affordable Housing Rules Changes – This may include Allowing Developers to BUYOUT RESERVE HOUSING in KAKA’AKO.
5. Executive Director (Anthony Ching) 2014 Performance Evaluation and Pay Raise. - Evaluation/Raise procedure started in September but should be done in January 2015.
HCDA Expedited Condo Permits:
1. MK Vida LLC (formerly MK H&I Holdings LLC) condominium project.
2. Howard Huges Ward Village Condominium
Please be ready to make our voices HEARD!
* * * * *
ALERT Kewalo Basin Development Update
Aloha Friends, November 16, 2014
Friends of Kewalos would like to alert you on upcoming development proposals for three parcels within Kewalo Basin. Each of these are being currently negotiated between HCDA and 3 individual developers under an EXCLUSIVE NEGOTIATION AGREEMENT (ENA.) This process allows HCDA to negotiate exclusively with one developer for a period of one year. No public input is permitted as the negotiations remain private. If they both agree by the end of the one year period, the project moves forward to the next step. (EA and CIA) where public input is allowed.
FOK would like to share descriptions, renderings of the proposals, and map locations and footprints.
1. Former McWayne site. This massive futuristic facility consists of four, two -level buildings with the second level equipped with an open deck. Combined, four buildings include almost 50,000 Sq. Ft. of retail, a wedding chapel,restaurants,cafes and bars, commercial space, and Blue Note jazz club. It also includes a 250 stall multi-level parking structure. Japanese Developers: Goodluck Corp. & Hinamari HI. FOK has met with HCDA, and 2 consultants hired by the developers. ENA period ends February 2015.
CLICK HERE for rendering
2. Charter building site. Italian restaurant with outdoor seating. Japanese Developer: Bellavita. FOK met with a consultant hired by the developer. Unknown timetable. CLICK HERE
3. Former NOAA facility/Harbor Masters office site by Net Shed.
Informal preliminary discussion has produced a 2 story restaurant concept with a beer garden on the bottom and fine dining on top. No rendering or timeline given.
Developer: Howard Hughes.
CLICK HERE map of location footprints of the 3 projects numbered 1,2,3
On a separate lease, Howard Hughes has already secured a 35 year lease on the Kewalo Boat Harbor. They are working on their plan to replace, repair, add new boat slips(up to 100 more), and other improvements. It is a public/private partnership with HH putting out 20 million dollars. Their security and landscaping crew will be working at the harbor.
At every discussion regarding these projects, FOK has stressed the importance of preserving open access and free parking for the park users. We stressed projects must include ample free parking for the patrons of these projects so not to get abuse of the park's free parking.
FOK has recently sent written testimony to HCDA in opposition of the McWayne development. CLICK HERE
We will continue to work collaboratively with HCDA, the developers and their consultants and will update you as we get the information. We are working very hard to "Keep Kewalos - Kewalos"
Mahalo for taking the time to be informed.
Friends of Kewalos
PROTECT, PRESERVE, MALAMA